Settle into Residence
Below is some information to help you during your stay in the residence.
- No smoking is allowed in Residence. If you are of legal smoking age (19 years old) and if you have any smoking products on you, please give them to the residence staff. We will store them in your mailbox. Some smoking products are: cigarettes, lighters, etc.
- No cooking is allowed in the Residence room. Kettles with automatic shut-offs are allowed.
- Contact the front desk immediately if you aren’t feeling well. Houseparents are here 24 hours a day, 7 days per week and can be reached at:
- Front Desk Number:
Pine Boys: +1-905-308-7565 ext.5555
Pine Girls: +1-905-308-7565 ext. 6666
- Cell/Mobile Number: +1-905-961-4068
- Front Desk Number:
As always, please feel free to call the front desk if you have any questions or are in need of anything.
Residence Leaders are volunteer students who currently live in residence and have volunteered to help newly arrived students. They will be a great source of information as you settle into residence. Having experienced the same transition to life in residence, they will be able to answer questions about how to navigate daily life.
They can help with some of the following:
- How to set up your phone
- How to get involved in residence life
- Introducing you to other students
- How to do laundry
- Morning routines
- Residence facilities and amenities
- Signing Up for residence activities
- Meal schedules
They are here to help you and will contact you by phone or email within the first few days of your arrival to introduce themselves and direct you to the right person to answer any questions you might have. They will be a friendly face when you are released from quarantine and will be there to help you. They are looking forward to meeting you. As you continue your journey in Residence, you too can volunteer for the program in the future! Reach out to a Residence manager for more information.
Above and beyond our amenities, you will have access to events. Please see a below example of a normal week in the life of residence.
Please note, information will update, and is subject to change.
Winter / Summer Break Activities
Above and beyond our amenities, you will have access to events. Please see a below example of a winter break in the life of residence. Sign up on REACH.
To make a room repair request:
- Students need to come to or call the residence front desk to report the need for repair.
- Residence staff will then visit the student’s room physically to identify the problem and ensure the accuracy of reporting.
- Then residence staff will proceed to create a maintenance ticket on RMS.
- Maintenance staff will check the ticket on a daily basis during weekdays and will provide maintenance service and then close the ticket after the repair is done.
- A ticket as below from the Maintenance department will be left in the student’s room after a repair has taken place. This ticket is to inform the student that CIC Maintenance was in their room and completed the reported repair.
- To dial a local number, Dial 9 first and then the phone number. For example, to dial the school number, dial 9-905-572-7883.
- SIM cards are available at residence and can be activated via the internet with a credit card. Please call the Front Desk if you would like to get a SIM card or need help activating one. Once you register for a plan, the SIM card will give you:
- Canadian phone number
- Data plan
- Unlimited Canada wide calling
- Unlimited Canada wide messaging
- Calling cards for international calls are also available at the residence. If you would like to obtain one, or need help using it, please reach out to the Residence staff.
In the unlikely event that there is an emergency that causes the fire alarm to sound, to ensure your safety, please follow these simple rules:
- If safe to do so, leave the building by the nearest and safest exit. Put on shoes and a warm jacket.
Once outside, please meet in the following meeting spaces.
- Managing room temperature
- You can control the temperature of your room! To make changes, push down the side of the lid on top of the heating unit. You can turn the heat or cooling on and off and change to the preferred temperature. We recommend temperatures between 21 to 25 degrees Celsius.
- There are hygienic items sold at the Residence such as shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, etc. If you need to purchase any of these items, call the Front Desk. Please note that the items are based on availability and may not be available at all times.
- Keeping tidy
- Please make sure to throw out all garbage and uneaten food from the meals/snacks. If you did not drink the beverage(s) please drain down the bathroom sink before throwing out the container. New garbage bags will be delivered for your use.
Last updated on March 29, 2023