CLICK ONE ONLY
English Assessment & Placement Policy
Columbia International College is committed to promoting academic success for all students and, to this end, values the student’s choice of using one of the two following pathways for determining their personal study plan:
- i) CIC’s placement test administered by school staff.
- ii) an approved external English test result such as IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, or MELAB.
Students choosing to utilize an internationally recognized external test score (example: IELTS)
Procedure for using external test score
- Students who present their external test score at the time of registration (when they arrive at the school for orientation) will use these results to determine pathway programming at Columbia.
- In the event that the student does not have their external test score in hand at registration (when they arrive at the school for orientation), they can go to the Liaison Officer in room 163 to print the score which will be signed as authentic by designated liaison staff.
- External test scores must be presented in hand; pending results will not be accepted.
Students choosing to write the CIC placement test
Procedure for using CIC’s placement test score
- Students who do not present or choose not to use their external test score are required to write the CIC placement test.
- Students with CIC’s placement test results older than 6 months may choose to re-write CIC’s placement test
- Once available, the CIC’s placement test results will be used for the student’s personal study plan.
External test scores received after the registration period will not be used
to decide future courses and levels of study.